English

Memorial Services Held in Japan

Tokyo, September 2 (KNS-KCNA) — A memorial service was held in front of the monument to the Korean victims in Tokyo on Sept. 1, 81 years since the assacre of Koreans after the Kanto quake in 1923.

Pak Yun Gi, vice-chairman of the Tokyo Metropolitan Headquarters of Chongryon (General Association of Korean Residents in Japan), in his memorial address said that when a great quake occurred in Kanto in 1923, the Japanese authorities committed such thrice-cursed atrocities as hurling army and police forces and even civilians to kill thousands of Koreans in cold blood after setting afloat a rumor.

Although 81 years have passed since then the right-wing reactionaries and media in Japan are still misleading the public opinion, stoking hostility toward the DPRK and creating a terror-ridden atmosphere to incriminate Koreans in Japan, he said.

He urged the Japanese authorities to sincerely implement the DPRK-Japan Pyongyang Declaration and called on the compatriots to achieve national reunification, their cherished desire, without fail so that they might discharge their mission as the descendent of the victims.

Representatives of youth and students spoke next.

They said that they would never forget the bitter grudge of the victims, protect the dignity of the nation and give full play to its resourcefulness.

A figure of the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly who attended the service begged Koreans’ forgiveness for killing Koreans for no understandable reason and assured those present there that the similar tragedy would never occur.

The participants observed a moment’s silence in memory of the victims.

Memorial services were also held in Chiba and Saitama Prefectures under the sponsorship of the headquarters and branches of Chongryon on the same day.

Image credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fljckr/2604165521/

Related posts: