English

Records of Trial of Chun Doo Hwan’s Crimes Opened to Public

Pyongyang, May 23 (KCNA) — The south Korean newspaper Hangyore on May 20 reported the records of trial of traitor Chun Doo Hwan, the chief culprit in the massacre of May 18 Kwangju uprisers.

It was reported that the records of trials of Chun Doo Hwan and Roh Tae Woo said Chun Doo Hwan, the then security commander and acting director of the Central Intelligence Agency of south Korea, handed encouraging money to the commander of the relevant airborne unit on May 21, 1980.
The former acting chief of the South Jolla provincial branch of the Central Intelligence Agency in December, 1995 testified in the course of the prosecution’s investigation that Chun Doo Hwan instructed that a million won was sent to the commander of the 11th airborne brigade which had been hurled into Kwangju.
The records said that in the early period of the May 18 movement for democracy Chun Doo Hwan directly commanded the “activities to calm down angry people” in Kwangju.
Referring to these facts, the newspaper said Chun Doo Hwan’s assertion that the Kwangju incident had nothing to do with him was false.
On May 17 the south Korean internet paper Voice of People denounced Chun Doo Hwan for totally denying the responsibility for the Kwangju massacre at a press interview.

Image credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lynxsquared/3218230097/

Related posts: